Thursday, July 10, 2014

King avriel - 180



Rising 23-year-old Los Angeles-based alt-R&B singer/songwriter Avriel Epps, aka King avriel (purposefully spelled with a capital 'K' & lowercase 'a') has just unveiled her latest offering in the form of "180", produced by T.O.O.L. (The.Only.Ones.Left) and the follow-up to her previously released singles "Judgment Day" and "Caricatures" (video below) to be taken from her highly anticipated debut full-length album, thesis due out later this summer.

In regards to track King avriel says, "180 is my attempt to relive a period in my life when I felt I was not my own person, just a giant cliché - an attention-starved, rebellious girl trying to navigate and find my place in this male-dominated industry. I felt the best way for you to understand where I'm coming from and how it’s shaped me was to chronicle some of my teenage 'rites of passage.' While those pivotal moments seemingly gave me more freedom and maybe even some moderate success, they only sunk me deeper into a psychological enslavement, cemented in the materialism, vanity, and predatory nature of LA. I think that story, juxtaposed with the trap elements in the beat - a cliché in and of itself - sets up a nice contrast that hopefully makes you think about the culture we've all grown up in."


No comments:

Post a Comment