Monday, May 8, 2017

Ella Vos - You Don't Know About Me

After having released her previous single "Down In Flames" earlier this year, which has so far amassed nearly 10 million plays on Spotify, Los Angeles-based singer/songwriter, pianist and visual artist Ella Vos now returns with her latest offering (and hands down one of the most imperative songs we've ever had the pleasure of sharing) entitled "You Don't Know About Me", an intensely personal track which tackles social issues women are currently facing in America. The mother of a young son, the message of the song challenges the current climate of older male legislators making decisions about the bodies of young women. "You Don't Know About Me" once again showcases Ella' stunning vocals over inventive and crystalline electronic pop production.

Speaking on the inspiration behind the track, Ella offered this statement:
"About a year after my son was born, my mom turned to him and said, 'We don’t want people in office who will make abortion legal, otherwise you wouldn't be here.' She had spoken as if we we’re back in 1972 when 70 year old male legislators were the ones making decisions about young women’s bodies.

Why has nothing changed?

Recently, I watched a staunch anti-abortion senator state that 'I don’t know [why women have abortions]. I’m not a woman, I’ve never thought about it.' I am a woman. I am a daughter. I am a mother. None of us choose the first two, but don't we all deserve a choice with the latter? What does pro-life really mean? What about the lives of refugees, what about the lives of innocent people killed in war, what about healthcare?

So I wrote a song about ignorance. About all those little comments we combat throughout the day. About choosing to replace those words with empowering statements. This is my body. About learning to be strong. About not letting anyone tell me who I should or shouldn’t be.

Because you don't know about me.
"

Listen to "You Don't Know About Me" below.




"You Don't Know About Me" is available now on iTunes.

https://www.facebook.com/EllaVosMusic

No comments:

Post a Comment