Friday, February 19, 2016

Bishat - Sober

Back in December of 2015, Swedish artist Bishat released a first taste of her abilities with "Some Things", a vocal mashup of three of her favorite songs: Daniel Johnston's "Some Things Last A Long Time", Lykke Li's "No Rest For The Wicked" and The Weeknd's "Often". The track received widespread recognition from several international music blogs as well as from indie pop darling Shura. However, today Bishat returns with her official debut single called "Sober", a song about the early stage of a relationship that you think has so much potential and the painful realization you're not getting what you need. It's a story about attraction, alcohol and 4 AM decisions and the trickiness of looking at things soberly.

Bishat has the ability to be soulful without sounding like those big voice singers. Conveying raw emotion and being unfiltered, not being fitted into any particular genre or pre-conceived idea of what a black female artist should be, is by far more interesting to her. Bishat says:

"There was a time when I was younger and people really tried to make me say who I sounded like so they could put me in a category. Still today if I say I am an artist, 9 of 10 times they say 'soul or R&B right?'. I usually answer that I do pop music (whatever that means). I'm almost certain my music will get labeled as R&B anyway though, cause that’s just how it is. That used to mess with my head. I felt this huge expectation that my voice should match my looks and it just didn’t. I didn’t have this big, soulful voice so it took me a while to understand and accept that although I love soul music, I don’t sound like that. And that's fine."

Stream both "Sober" and "Some Things" below.




"Sober" is available now on iTunes.

Premiere via Indie Shuffle.

https://www.facebook.com/iambishat

No comments:

Post a Comment