Thursday, May 12, 2016

LEX - My Way

Imagine a place where high fashion and animalistic visions intersect with primal talent and extraterrestrial pop. This realm belongs to up-and-coming Los Angeles-based artists LEX, who earlier today unveiled the official music video (directed by Damien Sandoval) for her infectiously icy debut single, "My Way."

"The song and video takes listeners to places they may have never been," LEX explains. "I put my own spin on the lyrics. I'm saying, 'Swing my way into my earth and my realm.' It's an invitation, for sure."

Instead of simply filming a local video to introduce her singular world, LEX and a film crew traveled to Anchorage, Alaska. Living in a van for three days, they captured this sexy dreamscape complete with a smiling regal Alaskan huskie, striking costumes, and a stark mountainous backdrop blanketed in snow. The aesthetic reflects the song's unpredictable seesaw between airy alternative bliss and irresistible drip of R&B. The hook echoes to the heavens as it nods to the KP and Envyi nineties hit, "Swing My Way."

Born Alexis Atkins, she discovered her love for music as a young child growing up in Champaign, Illinois. Like clockwork, she would stand on the fireplace at the same time every afternoon and perform a new song as her mom filmed clips for grandma to watch. The aspiring artist diligently and quietly honed her voice throughout the years-rarely even sharing musical ideas with friends. Relocating to L.A. after high school, she turned heads with an intergalactically entrancing cover of Fetty Wap's "Trap Queen" in 2015. The track would soon garner a viral enthusiastic response as she landed acclaim from the likes of Maxim, AXS, and many more.

Listen and watch the music video for "My Way" below.





Follow LEX on Twitter, Soundcloud and Instagram.

Premiere via Flaunt Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment