Friday, December 14, 2018

Nola Wren - Scream Into The Void, Pt. 1 (EP)

Chicago-born, Brooklyn-based singer/songwriter, producer and visual artist Kara Renee Francavillo, aka Nola Wren has today released her long-awaited debut EP titled Scream Into The Void, Pt. 1. The five-song collection includes her previously released singles "Levitate", "Creature", and "Mad" plus 2 brand new tracks, "Bloodbath" and "Is It Over?" "Bloodbath" was co-produced and co-written with Los Angeles-based producer David Dahlquist, aka Kill Dave, who Nola previously collaborated with on their viral hit, "Knife", which spawned remixes from the likes of tofû and LGHTNNG. Nola tells us that she first started working on the EP back in 2016 and produced these songs on a half-broken MacBook Pro with the mixing and mastering of each track taking place sporadically. Nola goes on to explain...

"When I'm working on a piece of art or music, sometimes I go into a detached state where it's almost as if I'm floating. in that state, my creature takes over. I was a creature for a good chunk of 2016 and most of 2017, which is when I made this record. I don't often know the meaning of something until after I've had some time to process, whether it be a song lyric, an argument, even an impulsive split-second decision. I can't say exactly what my intentions were, other than I think my creature needed to work through some issues that were bleeding into my real life. Today I've come to look at the track list like a 15-minute long voicemail left by a blocked number. I've left a lot of regrettable voicemails in my life, said a lot of embarrassing things, sent text messages and emails I'll never be able to take back. They're just out there, floating in the void. I want to blame my creature, but at the end of the day, creature is just a metaphor for a part of me I can't explain. It just is. I'm learning how to co-exist with that part of myself, to be less destructive, to find some semblance of peace. There's a reason why I'm releasing my album in two parts. The person I was when I wrote this first set of 5 songs is not an accurate representation of who I am today. I listen to "Bloodbath" now and easily hear it coming from a third person's perspective, criticizing my relationship from the outside. I listen to "Levitate" and go, 'okay, I'm at war with myself here, I'm fighting my own insecurities.' I was running in circles, screaming into a void. Only now I'm aware of it, and determined to make better art because of it."

Stream Scream Into The Void, Pt. 1 in full and watch the music video for "Mad" below.




Scream Into The Void, Pt. 1 is available now on all digital platforms. Get it here.

Follow Nola Wren on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment