Friday, September 20, 2019

Calica - Yes, Its About You

Singer-songwriter, Calica is a breath of fresh air in today's pop scene. Whether she's giving listeners a sassy depiction of a breakup, or eloquently expressing complex emotions, Calica connects with her audience like no other. Her smooth and angelic vocals draw you in, whilst the groovy and deeply synth-laden sounds keep you wanting more.

Born and raised in Miami, Florida, Calica began her musical career taking piano and singing lessons at the early age of six. After attending a performing arts high school and the University of Miami Frost School of Music, CALICA greatly expanded her musical prowess and began to find her sound. With these experiences, she took her talents to a new frontier.

The result is Calica's debut album, Yes, It's About You, produced by Grammy nominated artists SMLE. Giving listeners a refreshing take on love, loss, and self-empowerment, Yes, It's About You is a stellar ensemble, candidly written about all of the people and past experiences that have shaped her identity, in an expressive blend of concise and frank lyrics, entrenched in nostalgic production, all tied together with a synth-pop bow.

Speaking to the motivation behind the album, Calica shares:

"This album means so much to me. When I wrote these songs I was lost, I was hurt, and I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I was freshly out of a three year relationship and FULL of some real life inspiration from events that transpired during and after that breakup. 'Yes, It's About You is 'actually not just about one person, it's about a handful of people (lovers, friends, ex-lovers, ex-friends) who really affected me during that time in my life. I think the title of the album is also really fitting because, in the end, all of these songs are about me. They're essentially a time capsule of how I processed my emotions at the time, and it’s really amazing to see how much I’ve grown as a songwriter and as a person since writing them."

Stream Yes, It's About You in full below.



"Yes, It's About You" is available now on all streaming platforms. Get it here.
Photo credit: Maxine Bowen

Follow Calica on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment