Friday, September 20, 2019

Monogem - Soy Lo Que Soy

Taking strides to acknowledge her Mexican heritage in her music, Los Angeles-based musician Jen Hirsh, aka MONOGEM brings writing from the heart singing in her latest Spanish driven composition. Based off a promise from her abuela to never lose her past, "Soy Lo Que Soy" evokes passion and personal experience claiming 'I am what I am'. Informed largely by jazz and soul, Monogem channels electro-pop sensibilities with distinguishable songwriting proficiency. It's no wonder she's written global hits for acts like Lemaitre, but now comes into her own with this latest release.

Speaking on the inspiration behind the track, Monogem shares:

"'Soy Lo Que Soy' is the beginning of a new era. A time where I feel comfortable to explore my Mexican heritage through my art. The song describes the feeling of change… almost a catharsis. The writing process of 'Soy Lo Que Soy' was emotional and informative, but above all, has made me realize that I only am what I am, and always will be. For years, I've struggled with my identity as a half Mexican woman growing up in the suburbs of Los Angeles. I have vivid memories of my grandmother, Hortenisa, speaking to me in Spanish telling me to never forget my roots, never stop speaking, learning and keeping the culture alive. For me, it's an honor to write music in Spanish… a language that was such an integral part of my upbringing. This song is for my abuelita as much as it is for me."

Listen to "Soy Lo Que Soy" below.




"Soy Lo Que Soy " is available now on all streaming platforms. Get it here.
Photo credit: Avery Wheless

Follow Monogem on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment